Sunday, February 5, 2012

Video: Karim Rashid Speaks About Good Design


Last week, I attended the Interior Design Show (IDS12) here in Toronto and one of the highlights of my time at the show was receiving the amazing opportunity to interview iconic designer, Karim Rashid! I'm a huge Karim Rashid fan and his visionary designs have truly touched, inspired and redefined the definition of good design.

Being a creative individual and growing up in a non-creative place like Edmonton, Karim Rashid's designs and creations allowed me to escape the monotony and oppressive mentality that is characteristic of conservative cities. If you are creative and live in, or are from a similar place, you'll understand where I'm coming from and how important it is to find escape outlets. It was influential designers and artists like Karim Rashid that really helped me to pull through rough patches of my life and helped me to believe and realize that it does get better.

I never thought that I would ever have the opportunity to have an intimate heart-to-heart conversation with a design icon (let alone it be--Karim Rashid!!!), but the design gods smiled upon me and I got to meet and chat with Karim Rashid for HGTV.ca! I was beyond nervous and completely beside myself as he entered the room and introduced himself. However, as we began to speak, a sudden calming feeling came over me as I realized that Karim Rashid was just as human as I was, despite the godlike level that I revere him at.

We chatted briefly before getting into our interview and I expressed how sad I was to learn that one of my favourite NYC restaurants, Nooch, which he designed, had closed down. Karim Rashid was flattered and we shared a moment lamenting the loss of the stylish NYC dining institution. I asked him a series of design and non-design questions and I really got to know the individual behind the designer.

My time with Karim Rashid was inspirational, intellectually stimulating and profound on so many different levels. Karim Rashid was everything and more than I expected him to be and this experience is definitely something that I will cherish always. Check out my video below to see what Karim Rashid had to say and check back for more in the next few weeks!


Related

No comments: