Friday, February 18, 2011

Video: Beth Ditto - I Wrote The Book



I'm a huge Beth Ditto fan and this is the video for her new single, I Wrote the Book, produced by Simian Mobile Disco. This entire video pays homage to the controversial video projects that Madonna produced back in the day when it was considered edgy and risque to depict scenes of homosexuality and sadomasochism in music videos.

Madonna's Justify My Love and Erotica music videos were the primary inspirations for this video (see below). The hair, makeup, styling and cinematography is spot on and I can't get over how well Beth Ditto has reinterpreted and reinvented Madonna's visuals for this video -- she's totally BROUGHT it and looks gorgeous at the same time!

Beth Ditto is definitely one of pop music and pop culture's rising stars and she's also a visionary style and fashion icon in her own right. This video just reinforces the fact that Beth truly is a "pop" force to be reckoned with. I can't wait to see what's next from Ms. Ditto!

No comments: