Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Meeting J. Alexander



I met J. Alexander this past weekend and the whole experience was a total dream come true for me! My most recent post for slice.ca...

"Miss J" Alexander has always been an inspiration and a fashion hero to me.

Growing up in Alberta in the early '90s, my weekly escape from the monotony and conservative lifestyle of Edmontonian life was getting my weekly fix of Fashion Television. Jeanne Becker would whisk me around the world, take me behind-the-scenes to glamourous fashion shows and introduce me to the fashion world's elite and its rising stars.

I remember one specific episode where there was a segment about a runway coach that worked closely with the '90s supermodels named J. Alexander. His Fashion Television feature went on to reveal how he taught these leading models how to work the runway and went on to show him work it out in a pair of heels. Watching J. Alexander's piece at that time truly impacted and inspired me because he embodied the notion that you can be yourself, achieve anything you put your mind to and be fabulous at the same time!

Fast forward to 2010, J. Alexander has come a long way from his debut on Fashion Television and some of his major accomplishments include being a judge on the hit reality series America's Next Top Model and he recently wrote a book called Follow The Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power. He was in Toronto over the weekend to promote his book and to host a celebrity runway walk-off (see my video below).





I caught up with J. Alexander at the meet and greet at this event to share my story with him and he was truly touched. You never know if the people you hold up high on a pedestal will let you down or not, but J. Alexander was everything and more than I expected him to be. He was down-to-earth, genuine and completely endearing. I asked him to share some of his fashion DONTs with us and in true Miss J style, he WORKED the video below - check it and enjoy!



Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power is available in stores and from online merchants now!

No comments: